While life may sometimes seem like a battlefield, it’s easy to survive the chaos with a little help from your friends. Good friends don’t just pick you up when you feel like you’re falling apart, they’re also there to knock some sense into you when you’re about to do something stupid.
Solid friendships aren’t just good for the soul, they’re also great for your health. A recent study done by Harvard showed that people who are in healthy relationships live longer, more fruitful lives. So, if you want to be happier, you need to start connecting with others.
This is a great reason to take your friendships to the next level. By reaching out to a friend and showing up for the important moments, you’re not just increasing your life span, you’re also gaining a support system.
But what if your pillar of support is the one going through a tough time? How do you lift a friend who is feeling down?
Whether your friend is grieving the death of a loved one or going through a tough time at work, here are some words of encouragement that you can share to help them get by.
Words of Encouragement to a Friend Who Needs Your Help
1. “Everyone has inside them a piece of good news. The good news is you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is.” – Anne Frank (Click to tweet)
Everyone has the potential to be great. Remind your friend that they are not defined by their circumstances. There’s still so much they can accomplish with the right mindset.
2. “… if we deliberately seek encouragement (motivation) on a daily basis, it will become a habit and enable us to get ahead and stay ahead in life.” -Zig Ziglar (Click to tweet)
Habits are very powerful things. They can help your friend take control of their response to any circumstance. Encourage your friend to seek encouragement instead of dwelling in their negative situation.
3. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” -Maya Angelou (Click to tweet)
Misery loves company. When a friend is suffering, it’s easy to get sucked under their cloud. Let your friend know how much they mean to you. Tell them about the times they were the rainbow in your cloud.
4. “It is important to surround yourself with people who lift you up, encourage you, share your vision and inspire you.” -Les Brown (Click to tweet)
We’re all familiar with the cliche: birds of the same feather flock together. Help your friend get through the bad times by being their pillar of support. We can all do with a dose of positive reinforcement from people we trust to stay on course.
5. “You have a greater potential than anyone who has ever lived before you! But you’ll never “make it” by sitting on your duff and telling the world how great you’re going to be, starting tomorrow.” -Og Mandino (Click to tweet)
We live in a time when anything and everything is possible. Encourage your friend to take on new challenges and really show the world what they’re capable of. Greatness requires action.
6. “You could be the world’s best garbage man, the world’s best model; it don’t matter what you do if you’re the best.” -Muhammad Ali (Click to tweet)
We all have the potential to be the best versions of ourselves. Regardless of their job title or circumstances, your friend only needs to work on becoming their own version of best. No one else should make them think or feel otherwise.
7. “You can do no more than you believe you can. You can be no more than you believe you are.” -Norman Vincent Peale (Click to tweet)
There is power in believing that you’re capable of achieving whatever you set your mind to. Tell your friend that they are only limited by their perception of themselves. If they believe they can accomplish great things, then they will.
8. “Nothing in this world is impossible to a willing heart.” -Abraham Lincoln (Click to tweet)
A willing heart trumps all fears. If a person has the heart to succeed, they will do everything in their power to overcome difficulties. Nothing is impossible to a person who is determined to make the impossible possible.
9. “Sometimes when you are in a dark place you think you have been buried, but actually you have been planted.” -Christine Caine (Click to tweet)
Even if the situation seems hopeless at this point, it’s nothing that a change of perspective can’t fix. Instead of focusing on the pain and suffering, encourage your friend to look at it as an opportunity for growth.
10. “No matter how tall the mountain is, it cannot block the sun.” -Chinese proverb (Click to tweet)
No matter how big your friend’s problems may be, remind them there’s always hope. Mountains can seem overwhelming from the bottom, but they can be so small when you look at the sky.
11. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” -Gandhi (Click to tweet)
People will hurt and disappoint, but that shouldn’t be a reason to give up all faith in humanity. Restore your friend’s faith in people by sharing inspirational stories of extraordinary personalities who tirelessly work to make the world a better place.
12. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” -Robert H. Schuller (Click to tweet)
Your friend can overcome anything when he or she knows that tough times don’t last. Even if the situation seems hopeless now, it’s not a reason to give up. What doesn’t kill them is only going to make them stronger.
13. “Your dreams can take you much higher and much farther than anyone ever thought possible!” -Buzz Aldrin (Click to tweet)
Dreams can be a powerful source of motivation that can bring people to places or situations they never thought could be possible. Just like Buzz Aldrin, your friend need only to dream big dreams to reach the stars.
14. “Relentless people move mountains. Relentless people make the impossible, possible. Relentless people achieve miracles.” -Wayne Allyn Root (Click to tweet)
Being relentless means having a persistent spirit to overcome all challenges. When your friend is down, remind them of their relentless spirit. With enough determination, they can achieve anything they set their mind to.
15. “People who fail often work as hard as those who succeed. The major difference is that successful people put their time into activities that give higher pay-back.” -Robyn Pearce (Click to tweet)
Failure doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. They prod people to take action. Help your friend realize that there’s always room for improvement. If they use their time on activities that will help them improve their craft or skills, they can expect better results in the long run.
16. “Focus on improving yourself and I guarantee that the quality of people you spend time with will dramatically improve.” -J. D. David (Click to tweet)
If your friend is a victim of toxic relationships, encourage them to work on improving themselves. When they focus on self-improvement, they will attract people who are just like them. Remind them that they reflect the company they keep.
17. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” -Confucius (Click to tweet)
When taking a new path, it’s important that you have your whole heart in it. If a friend is having a tough time choosing the right path, move them towards the right direction by reminding them to go with all their heart. It doesn’t matter where they go as long as they trust their heart’s instinct.
18. “Stop beating yourself up. You are a work in progress.” (Click to tweet)
It doesn’t matter what a person has already accomplished in life, there’s always going to be room for growth. Being a work in progress shouldn’t be a discouragement. It’s a good reminder to be kinder to oneself. As long as a person is moving towards progress, they’re on the right track.
19. “When something bad happens, you have three choices: You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or let it strengthen you.” (Click to tweet)
When life hits us with the unexpected, it feels like losing control. Let your friend know that they can choose how it affects them. Whether they allow it to make or break them, the choice is ultimately up to them.
20. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” -Eleanor Roosevelt (Click to tweet)
When relating with people, no one has the right to make any person feel inferior. For your friend who is struggling with their relationships, remind them that they are in control over how other people make them feel. They will only feel unworthy if they let others demean them.
21. “Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.” (Click to tweet)
A good pep talk to motivate your friend is to remind them how far they’ve come in life. While they may be unsure of where they’re headed right now, they can always look back at their journey to see how far they’ve already come.
22. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” -C.S. Lewis (Click to tweet)
One way to encourage a friend is to remind them that there are always new goals to set and new dreams to dream. By setting their sights on the future, they’ll feel motivated to overcome whatever situation they’re in.
23. “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” -Drew Barrymore (Click to tweet)
Even though your friend is experiencing great pain at this moment, help them see the purpose of their pain. They may not know it right now, but they have the power to turn their pains into their strengths.
24. “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not making decisions.” -Katherine Hepburn (Click to tweet)
Mistakes are inevitable in life. But instead of being a source of discouragement, they can be a signal to recalibrate your life. Making mistakes means that there’s actual movement in someone’s life. They can be guideposts that will direct your friend to the right path.
25. “Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” -Oprah (Click to tweet)
To get good results in the future, one must do their best at the moment. What a person does today will affect their future. Oprah was on to something when she said this quote.
26. “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” -Vince Lombardi (Click to tweet)
A very insightful quote about not giving up. Again, success isn’t found in not failing, but in choosing to get up after a fall. The more a person tries, the more chances that they have to get it right.
27. “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” -Albert Einstein (Click to tweet)
In every setback, there’s an opportunity to grow. Just because things didn’t work out as planned, that doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road. It’s a good time to remind your friend to take a step back and look at how they can improve their situation. Maybe there are things that they still need to learn before they take the next step.
28. “A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.”(Click to tweet)
Nothing sounds sweeter than words of motivation after a terrible fall. Whether your friend is going through a major life change or reeling from a bad situation, always be ready with words of encouragement to a friend to lift up their spirits.
29. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” -Mary Anne Radmacher (Click to tweet)
Tell your friend that It’s okay to not be okay. Being courageous isn’t always about being strong and forceful. Sometimes, it’s in the willingness to try again.
30. “Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.” -Swedish proverb (Click to tweet)
When we surround ourselves with good friends, anything is possible. Good friends not only bring joy into our lives, but they also share our grief so we don’t have to carry the burden alone. Negative circumstances become more bearable with friends around.
Are You Ready to Use These Words of Encouragement to a Friend?
Speak life to your friends with encouraging words and a positive attitude. No matter what their circumstances are, you can help them get back on track. Be their source of positivity when they’re going through tough times. After all, that’s what friends are for.
BONUS: Cool Items of Encouraging Words You Can Give to a Friend
|Fidus Large 1 Gallon/128oz Motivational Water Bottle with Time Marker & Straw,Leakproof Tritan BPA Free Water Jug,Ensure You Drink Enough Water Daily for Fitness,Gym and Outdoor Sports||【Motivational Quote & Time Marker】With unique inspirational quote and time marker on it, this water bottle is great for measuring your daily intake of water, reminding you stay hydrated and drink enough water throughout the day. A must have for any fitness goals including weight loss and overall health.||Click Here|
|36 Pack Motivational Encouragement Greeting Cards, 6 Handwritten Modern Artistic Style Colorful Designs, Bulk Box Set Variety Assortment, Envelopes Included 5 x 7 Inches||SOPHISTICATED ARTISTIC DESIGN: Features a multicolored blurred background design with handwritten inspired cursive and unique fonts BLANK ON THE INSIDE: Contains 36 blank cards to include your custom messages for business and personal use. SUPERIOR QUALITY: Each card is printed on high-quality 250 gsm paper card stock for elegance and extra durability.||Click Here|
|Focus and Zeal Motivational and Inspirational Success Quote Cards in Black and White by Historically Famous Leaders and Innovators - Business Card Size, 30 pcs||INSPIRATIONAL CARD: Wake up everyday and be motivated to pursue your goals and dreams with our inspirational wallet cards. These are short inspirational quotes for business and success. GREAT MOTIVATION NOTE: Leave this encouraging cards in your friends and families backpack or school lunchboxes to uplift and motivate them GREAT INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE GIFTS: Printed in premium card stock in business card size, this inspirational business card paper is a great gifts for employees and companion.||Click Here|
|Motivational Quote Cards/Business Card Size / 50 Kindness Cards||Includes: 50 Motivational Cards filled with kindness, positive messages and joy (2 of each design shown) Includes 50 cards and measures 2"x3.5" (the size of a business card) Great for putting in school lunch box notes, backpacks, employees, coworkers, cashiers and other people you'd love to spread positivity to! Features a blank back so you can add your own additional note should you choose! Printed on high quality stock and proudly made in the USA.||Click Here|
|Paper Junkie Inspirational Notepads Small Pocket Notebook Journal (12 Pack, 3.5 x 5 in)||12-pack pocket notebook journal with different inspirational cover designs Ideal for carrying around in a pocket or backpack to take notes, sketch, or doodle. College ruled paper; 16 sheets/32 pages Inner page: 80g offset paper; cover: 250g cardstock 3.5 x 5 inches||Click Here|
|Affirmators! 50 Affirmation Cards to Help You Help Yourself - Without The Self-Helpy-Ness!||Even pessimists like a little positivity, so comedian Suzi Barrett created these inspirational-but-not-cheesy affirmation cards. Providing the fun of a horoscope with a little less woo-woo, and full of positive affirmations, this whimsical box will help you help yourself, no shamanistic consult required! 3.75 x 5 inches; 50 cards, plus instruction card.||Click Here|